Monday, June 8, 2015

Traveling England - First Hand Report

My first trip to the UK was a fairly long one, spending three weeks on my whirlwind adventure. I mostly stayed in Ireland, but I did get a chance to see parts of England and Wales. I wish I had had more time to explore such a magnificent country, however my time spent was unforgettable. I flew from Shannon, Ireland to London, England on a little puddle jumper and my adventure began. 

London
I have to start by saying I was a young desert dweller from Glendale, AZ and I had never seen any form of subway system before, I loved riding on the Tube. We rode it from Heathrow airport to the Borough, where our hostel, Dover Castle, was only a few feet from the station. We arrived at night and London was gorgeous! I awoke early the next morning and went for a stroll to find an ATM. I like wandering cities early in the morning when few people are about, it gives you a chance to feel the city.  Though London is a sprawling metropolis, to me it still retains a near magic old world feeling. 

Tower Bridge - I enjoyed a walk along Tower Bridge, there are tours available to take a peek at the inside and the engine room. I unfortunately didn't get to see the bridge raise, guess I'll have to go back and see it again.

Tower of London - This is a typical stop on any tourist must see list, but it is there for a reason. Maybe it is because I'm a bit of a history nut, but this was neat. From the crown Jewels to the history of prisoners to the famous Ravens, I loved it all.

Temple Church - This was actually a bit hard to find, but well worth the effort. If you make a visit be sure to check the hours, while we were there it was only open from 2-4 pm. If you've seen Da Vinci Code you'll recognize this place, but when you get there forget about the movie. This little church was built by the Templar Knights in 1185, effigies of knights can be found within, a most impressive sight to visit. 

British Museum - Museums in London are free to the public.  Please make a donation if you visit. A wonderful museum, there is so much to see here that it might take you a whole day or two. If you are in a museum type mood I would also recommend the Imperial war museum, especially the holocaust exhibit. 

Big Ben - I know a few people will cringe when I say this, but the clock tower isn't as big as I pictured it, I had the same issue at Mt. Rushmore though so it may just be me. Just in case you didn't know Big Ben is actually the name of the bell inside not the tower itself. You'll also see the Parliament buildings when you visit the clock tower. In the area and all around London are amazing statues and memorials. A personal favorite of mine located near Big Ben is Queen Boudicca, but gazing upon the war memorials is very emotional.

There is so much to see and do in London, and many places I think get missed if you take a vehicle around. Walk the city if you can, I discovered neat little places like the clink and the ruins of a building still standing from the Tudor period.

Bath
There is a lot to see between London and Bath, but I didn't really see it. Bath was the next and final stop on our tour of England. Not only were we there to see Bath itself, but we used it as a base camp to explore the surrounding areas.

Stonehenge - I'm not sure if there are truly any words to describe this Neolithic monument. Seeing pictures is one thing, but to stand near the stones and see their size makes you marvel at the amazing ingenuity of our ancestors.  

Roman Bath House - This must see is mind blowing. I loved looking at the mosaic art and statues.

Bizarre Bath - This is a comedy tour of Bath, if it is still running I highly recommend it. Not really sure how historically accurate it was, but the comedian was great and he also performed some neat little magic tricks.

Bath Abbey - If you love architecture or churches, don't miss this. Actually it is a bit hard to miss, it's huge! Around this area you'll find many entertaining street performers.

Let Rawhide Travel and Tours help you with all your business and leisure travel needs. Call us at (602) 843-5100 or visit our website: rawhidetravel.com.

Presented By:
Rawhide Travel and Tours Inc.
6008 West Bell Rd # F105
Glendale, Arizona 85308-3793
602-843-5100
rawhidetravel.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment